Sunday, September 12, 2010

My foray to Indian (inspired) food




When my cousin came to town a few of weeks ago, I took her to Mrs. Balbir's, a long established Indian Restaurant.  This is one of the best Indian restaurant in town, situated in a cud-de-sac on Soi 11.  Also, its very popular with the expat community here in Bangkok.

I am not very fond of Indian food but I really like for Dahl, Naan and Bhindi Bhaji (Okra with Onions), especially the Okra.  So I googled my favorite and found a simple and easy recipe. 


Bhindi bhaji (Okra with Onions)  


  • 2 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil

  • 1 onion, chopped

  • ½ tsp ground cumin

  • ½ tsp ground coriander

  • ½ tsp chilli powder

  • ¼ tsp ground turmeric

  • 150g/5¼ oz tomatoes, chopped

  • 450g/16oz okra, cut into 1in/3cm pieces

    Preparation:

    1. Heat the oil in a wok. Add the onions and spices and fry for 3-5 minutes until the onions are transparent. Tip in the tomatoes and cook for a minute or two.
    2. Throw in the okra and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until the okra is cooked through.
    3. Season well and serve.

    From BBC Food.

    My first time into the preparing for the food, I didn't have onions but I had carrots.  so I shredded carrots into thin stripes.  Hey, I am not cook.  But it worked with a little sugar to cut the bitterness.



    Then on my second try, I add in seafood and noodle.  This also worked.

    Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment